The Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact is a rare breed – it’s small on the outside, but big on the inside. Packed with all the latest hardware and having only a small screen to power, Sony’s latest super-mini may very well be the performance champion to beat. But whenever there is a superhero, there is a villain lurking in the shadows. So yes, the Compact has its own battle to fight that’s not all about size or speed.
Three years ago, the first Xperia Z1 Compact did the unthinkable, taking the then flagship apart and putting it back together into a smaller, nimbler package. Economy? Absolutely not. It was the performance package.
Sony eventually pulled the brakes with the X Compact last season but the XZ1 Compact is trying to make up for it and get back in the fast lane: the latest Snapdragon 835 chip, the flagship-grade Sony IMX400 camera with 960fps slow-mo vids, the elegant waterproof design, and Android Oreo right out of the box.
With a screen that size, the XZ1 has no business in the resolution race and the performance has the biggest gain. The XZ1 Compact is shaping up to be what the iPhone SE was to loyal Apple users and we can’t wait to take this little beast out for a spin.
- 129 x 64 x 9.3mm, 140g of a glass-fiber-reinforced plastic unibody, Gorilla Glass 5 front, IP65/68 waterproofing
- 4.6″ Triluminos display of 720p resolution (720 x 1,280px); 319ppi
- Android OS v8 Oreo with the Xperia launcher and Sony multimedia bundle
- Snapdragon 835 chipset: octa-core Kryo 280 CPU (4×2.46GHz +4×1.9GHz); Adreno 540 GPU; 4GB of RAM
- 19MP, 1/2.3″ Sony IMX400 camera, f/2.0 lens, predictive hybrid laser/phase detection/contrast AF, burst AF, IR sensor for white balance, LED flash, dedicated hardware shutter key;
- 4K video recording @30fps, 1080p @60fps, 720p @960fps, Steady Shot; Stereo audio recording;
- 8MP, 1/4″ front-facing ultra wide-angle camera with FOV120 and [email protected] video
- 32GB of built-in
- Single and dual-SIM models
- Cat. 15 LTE; Dual-band
- Active noise cancellation with a dedicated mic; 24-bit/192kHz Hi-Res audio; S-Force Front Surround stereo speakers
- 2,700mAh non-removable battery, QuickCharge 3.0 support
- Fingerprint sensor (market dependent), stereo speakers